- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Rational Use
- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Selection
- Palabras clave > essential medicines
- Palabras clave > Essential Medicines List (EML)
- Palabras clave > national medicines list
- Palabras clave > national treatment guidelines
- Palabras clave > primary health care (PHC)
- Palabras clave > rational use of medicines (RUM) / rational medicine use (RMU)
- Palabras clave > selection
- Palabras clave > Standard Treatment Guidelines
- Palabras clave > therapeutic guidelines
(2018; 0 pages)
Strengthening Primary Healthcare services is a priority of the Department of Health and a critical component of this process is to ensure equitable access to effective and safe medicines at all Primary Health Care facilities. This is the sixth edition of the Primary Health Care Level Standard Treatment Guidelines and Essential Medicines List.
Primary Healthcare facilities are the foundation of health system. In order to improve the health and quality of life of patients, they must provide essential services to prevent and treat a wide range of acute and chronic conditions, and appropriately refer patients who should be treated at higher levels of care. The Standard Treatment Guidelines and Essential Medicines List aim to provide clear guidance to health care workers regarding the management of all patients at primary care level; ensuring equitable access to services for individual patients across all stages of life, and the efficient and cost-effective promotion of health for all - essential components for achieving universal health care.
Electronic copies are available on National Department of Health Website: http://www.health.gov.za/edp.php
Mobile versions can be downloaded as “EML Clinical Guide” smartphone app from the relevant app stores - available for iOS, Android and Windows.
First printed 1996
Second edition 1998
Third edition 2003
Fourth edition 2008
Fifth edition 2014
Sixth edition 2018