- Todos > Medicine Information and Evidence for Policy > Information and Publications
- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Supply Management
- Palabras clave > global medicine shortage notification system
- Palabras clave > medicine shortages
- Palabras clave > medicine supply shortages
- Palabras clave > needs assessment
- Palabras clave > procurement bottlenecks - public sector
- Palabras clave > procurement planning
- Palabras clave > quantification - forecasting of medicines and supplies
- Palabras clave > stock management
- Palabras clave > supply chain - stock-outs
(2016; 6 pages)
Shortages of essential drugs are becoming increasingly frequent globally, burdening health systems with additional costs and posing risks to the health of patients who fail to receive the medicines they need.
The problem has received increasing attention in recent years. Building on the outcomes of previous discussions, participants at a WHO-convened technical consultation reviewed the factors contributing to medicines shortages and discussed approaches that could be effective to prevent and manage them at the global scale.