Title of the centre:
WHO Colaborating Center in Aging and Health
Director / Head:
Dr. Rebeca Wong
Sealy Center on Aging
University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
301 University Boulevard Route
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Collaborate with WHO in identifying institutions in Latin America and the Caribbean to jointly pursue opportunities for clinical and scientific research training with focus on health of older adults.
- Establish Visiting Scholar program with partner institutions for visitors to complete research on aging in coordination with UTMB researchers.
- Cooperate and collaborate with WHO on the translation and dissemination of research findings on older adults.
- Establish training opportunities in aging research and clinical fellowships.
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 4.1 - Support provided to Member States to formulate a comprehensive policy, plan and strategy for scaling up towards universal access to effective interventions in collaboration with other programmes, paying attention to reducing gender inequality and health inequities, providing a continuum of care throughout the life course, integrating service delivery across different levels of the health system and strengthening coordination with civil society and the private sector.
Ower: 4.8 - Guidelines, approaches, tools, and technical assistance provided to Member States for increased advocacy for consideration of ageing as a public health issue, for the development and implementation of policies and programmes aiming at maintaining maximum functional capacity throughout the life course and for the training of healthcare providers in approaches that ensure healthy ageing.
Ower: 3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
VEGA GARCIA Enrique
BEARD John Roland
+41 22 791 3404
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork