Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Promoting Family and Child Health
Director / Head:
Dr. Berman Stephen
Center for Global Health
University of Colorado School of Public Health
13199 E Montview Blvd, Suite 310
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To work with WHO to assist countries in reducing health inequity and excessive morbidity and mortality among resource-limited maternal, infant, child and adolescent populations by accelerating implementation of WHO's Expanded Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses' (IMCI) and Integrated Child Health and Development programs.
- To work with WHO in assisting countries in accelerating vaccine research and implementation to reduce inequity in infant and maternal morbidity and mortality among resource-limited populations.
- To work with WHO to assist vulnerable communities and countries become better trained in disaster preparedness in ways that will address the needs of children using the Pediatrics in Disasters training materials.
- To assist WHO to aid countries to build capacity for neonatal care by training of doctors, nurses, midwives, and other birth attendants using the “Helping Babies Breathe” program as part of Essential Newborn Care and evaluating the impact on perinatal survival and health.
- Child & maternal health
- Health promotion & education
- Emergency & humanitarian action
Types of activity:
Ower: 4.4 - Guidelines, approaches and tools for improving neonatal survival and health applied at country level, with technical support provided to Member States for intensified action towards universal coverage, effective interventions and monitoring of progress.
Ower: 4.5 - Guidelines, approaches and tools for improving child health and development applied at the country level, with technical support provided to Member States for intensified action towards universal coverage of the population with effective interventions and for monitoring progress, taking into consideration international and human-rights norms and standards, notably those stipulated in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Ower: 5.1 - Norms and standards developed, capacity built and technical support provided to Member States for the development and strengthening of national emergency preparedness plans and programmes.
DURAN Adrian Pablo
MARTINES Jose Carlos
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork