Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Pharmaceutical Research and Science Policy
Director / Head:
Professor Leslie Wilson
Department of Clinical Pharmacy
University of California, San Francisco
3333 California St
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide technical and methodological support for activities related to the selection of essential medicines by the WHO Department of Essential Medicines and Pharmaceutical Policy.
- Provide technical and methodological support for activities related to development of PAHO/WHO guidelines.
- Provide technical and methodological support for activities related to the Better Medicines for Children Program, which is part of the WHO Department of Essential Medicines and Pharmaceutical Policy.
- Provide guidance on development of research standards and practices for WHO and PAHO, including conflict of interest policies and research reporting practices.
- Promote PAHO regional research studies and the implementation of relevant local mandates, particularly those related to research and pharmaceutical policy.
- Strengthen and build human resource capacity in PAHO region and EMP/MAR working areas related to research standards, pharmaceutical policy and evidence-informed health care.
- Pharmaceuticals (including essential drugs and medicines)
- Health systems research & development
- Research policy & development
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Collection and collation of information
Ower: 11.1 - Formulation and monitoring of comprehensive national policies on access, quality and use of essential medical products and technologies advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.3 - Evidence based policy guidance on promoting scientifically sound and cost-effective use of medical products and technologies by health workers and consumers developed and supported within the Secretariat and regional and national programmes.
FORTE Gilles Bernard
+41 22 791 3617
CASTRO Jose Luis
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork