Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Applied Biosafety Programmes and Training
Director / Head:
Ms Cristina Bressler
Dr Paul Meechan
Office of Safety, Health and Environment
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
1600 Clifton Road, NE, MS F05
+1 404 639 0601
+1 404 639 1691
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide scientific and technical biosafety/biosecurity consult, and assist WHO with the development of international policies, guidance, and recommendations associated with biorisk management and the transport of infectious substances.
- To assist and support WHO in strengthening laboratory biorisk management. Activities may include review of biosafety & biosecurity programs, facillty & containment issues, laboratory design & construction, and facility operation & maintenance programs as requested by WHO.
- Assist WHO in the development of training tools, the organization of training activities, and providing information and guidance to the community
- Safety measures in microbiology
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 1.6 - Support provided to Member States in order to achieve the minimum core capacities required by the International Health Regulations (2005) for the establishment and strengthening of alert and response systems for use in epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
+41 22 791 3507
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork