Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre on Occupational Health
Director / Head:
Dr. Melissa McDiarmid, MD, MPH, DABT
Dr. Joanna Gaitens, PhD, MSN/MPH, RN
Occupational Health Program
University of Maryland - School of Medicine
11 S. Paca St, Second Floor
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide technical expertise and content knowledge in support of WHO and PAHO initiatives to protect healthcare workers.
- Assist and support PAHO in creating a healthy and safe workplace for all PAHO employees in the Americas.
- To support PAHO and WHO initiatives to control occupational and environmental cancers in the Americas.
- To support PAHO/WHO in capacity building and networking in occupational hygiene for improving diagnoses of occupational diseases in the Americas.
- Occupational health
- Chemical safety
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Training and education
- Collection and collation of information
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
RODRIGUEZ GUZMAN Julietta
You can also contact:
- SOARES DA SILVA Agnes
IVANOV Ivan Dimov
+41 22 791 5532
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork