Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre on Occupational Health
Director / Head:
Melissa McDiarmid, MD, MPH
Occupational Health Program
University of Maryland - School of Medicine
405 W Redwood Street, Second Floor
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide technical expertise and content knowledge in support of WHO Global Plan of Action on Workers' Health-with emphasis on the healthcare sector
- Enhance capacity among PAHO employees regarding safety and health committee functions and responsiblities.
- Provide toxicology and ergonomics training in collaboration with PAHO partners and WHO Collaborating Centers in occupational health.
- Provision of technical training and assistance in occupational and environmental cancer control and prevention especially regarding chemical carcinogens.
- Occupational health
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
KORTUM Evelyn G.
+41 22 79 13531
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork