Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Prevention and Control of Epidemic Meningitis
Director / Head:
Dr Tanja POPOVIC
Dr Nancy ROSENSTEIN
Meningitis and Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Mail stop G34, Bldg 17, Room 2029 1600 Clifton Road NE, GA 30333
(1-404) 639 1730
(1-404) 639 3172
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. Assistance to WHO & Member States in emergencies including on-site consultation during meningococcal epidemics.
- 2. Assistance to countries in surveillance of n. Meningitides strains, including identification, sub typing & antibicrobial susceptibility testing.
- 3. Training of national professionals including epidemic preparedness, laboratory abilities & epidemiologic investigations.
- 4. Collection, collation & analysis of epdemiologic information for WHO & Member States.
- 5. Collaboration with WHO in evaluation of vaccine candidates newly developed diagnostic techniques & control measures.
- Bacterial diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
BERTHERAT Eric Gerard Georges
+41 22 79 14608
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork