Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Global Public Health Workforce Development
Director / Head:
Dr Peter Bloland
Coordinating Office for Global Health, Office of Capacity Development and Program Coordination
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
1600 Clifton Road, NE, Mailstop E 93
(1-404) 639 7806
(1-404) 639 4617
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO in building sustainable capacity in Ministries of Health for CDC core public health functions (epidemiology, surveillance, laboratory services and program implementation) through workforce development and technical assistance.
- To contribute to and assist WHO to disseminate evidence-based best practices in public health leadership/management, epidemiology, surveillance, laboratory, health metrics, human resources development and information systems, health communications, health protection and promotion and injury prevention and control.
- To leverage partnerships to establish sustainable capacity to perform core public health functions across CDC, in collaboration with WHO, on HRH workforce development initiatives.
- Health systems research & development
- Human resources for health (excluding Nursing)
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
Ower: 10.8 - Health-workforce information and knowledge base strengthened, and country capacities for policy analysis, planning, implementation, information-sharing and research built up.
Ower: 10.9 - Technical support provided to Member States, with a focus on those facing severe health-workforce difficulties in order to improve the production, distribution, skill mix and retention of the health workforce.
SOUSA Maria Angelica
+41 22 79 12793
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork