Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Occupational Health
Director / Head:
Dr. Maria J. Brunette
Dr. David Krievel
Department of Work Environment (DWE)
University of Massachusetts
One University Avenue Lowell
(1-978) 934 3271
(1-978) 452 5711
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To contribute to WHO/PAHO work for stregthening capacity building by stablishing bilateral occupational safety & health academic collaboration agreements with Universities in Ecuador, Chile, Peru, Mexico and Thailand using knowledge networks on occupational safety and health as the primary mechanism.
- To assist WHO in the diffusion and dissemination of occupational health and safety information for vulnerable groups and high risk sectors in the Americas.
- To contribute to WHO/PAHO's work on stregthening capacity building by providing formal training courses on psychosocial work factors to empower ‘hard to reach’ workers such as union workers, low-wage/industrial workers, and immigrant workers.
- To support WHO and PAHO action plan for protecting healthcare workers by providing technical assistance for mercury reduction in Latin American hospitals and other developing countries abroad
- Occupational health
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Information dissemination
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
RODRIGUEZ GUZMAN Julietta
KORTUM Evelyn G.
+41 22 791 3531
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork