Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Environmental Epidemiology
Director / Head:
Dr. Judith R. Qualters, Ph.D
Dr. Peter Edwards
National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
4770 Buford Highway, NE (F-58)
(1-770) 488 3821
(1-770) 488 3460
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To collaborate with and assist the Organization in planning and implementing epidemiologic studies of health effects related to the environment.
- To assist in the assessment and interpretation of human health risks associated with environmental pollutants.
- To collaborate with the Organization in training activities, and transfer to developing countries information about (and methods for) environmental epidemiology.
- To assist the Organization in the development of teaching materials about environmental epidemiology.
- To provide technical support and cooperate with the WHO in the area of preparedness and response to nuclear and radiological emergencies.
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
SOARES DA SILVA Agnes
+41 22 791 3483
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork