Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Continuing and General Education in Diagnostic Ultrasound
Director / Head:
Dr. BARRY GOLDBERG
Jefferson Ultrasound Research & Education Institute
Thomas Jefferson University
132 South 10th Street, 763F Main Building
(1-215) 955 6227
(1-215) 955 8549
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To cooperate with WHO in its efforts to promote diagnostic ultrasound as needed by health services of developing countries.
- To cooperate with countries, upon request, in the planning & organization of diagnostic ultrasound services within the framework of other diagnostic imaging services and to promote studies evaluating the efficacy & effectiveness of diagnostic ultrasound.
- To promote the developments & application of quality control for ultrasound equipment, especially for use in developing countries.
- To provide advice to prospective purchasing agencies or government departments as to whether specific diagnostic ultrasound equipment meets WHO specifications.
- To continue to educate physicians and paramedical personnel from develoing countries in diagnostic ultrasound applications & interpretations.
- To continue to help to establish ultrasound training programs in key centers in developing & emerging countries.
- To continue to provide education materials including videotapes, CD ROM, DVD's & printed material to these affiliated ultrasound training centers in these countries.
- To continue to obtain ultrasound equipment donations & to provide them to our affiliated ulstrasound training centers in developing & emerging countries.
- Health Technology (including laboratory services; but excluding blood safety)
- Health promotion & education
- Reproductive health (excluding HIV/AIDS)
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Providing technical advise to WHO
WHO organization wide expected result:
11.1 - Formulation and monitoring of comprehensive national policies on access, quality and use of essential medical products and technologies advocated and supported.
VELAZQUEZ BERUMEN Adriana
+41 22 79 11239
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork