Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research on Healthy Settings
Director / Head:
Dr. Pavani Kalluri Ram
Dr. Korydon Smith
Center on Health in Housing, School of Public Health and Health Professions
State University of New York at Buffalo
237 Farber Hall
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Per PAHO/WHO request, conduct research, foster development, and provide technical assistance on inclusive housing and neighborhood design for vulnerable populations.
- Per PAHO/WHO request, conduct research and provide technical assistance on the prevention of waterborne diseases
- Per PAHO/WHO request, conduct research to develop healthy neighborhoods, including neighborhood based health support systems, including access to food.
- Per PAHO/WHO request, participate in the development of the WHO Housing and Health Guidelines.
- Health promotion & education
- Healthy Cities
- Disabilities and rehabilitation (excluding accident prevention)
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Information dissemination
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.4 - Guidance, tools and initiatives created in order to support the health sector in influencing policies in other sectors to allow policies that improve health, the environment and safety to be identified and adopted.
DORA Carlos Francisco C.
+41 22 791 3541
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork