Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research on Health in Housing
Director / Head:
Dr. John Stone
Health in Housing Center, School of Public Health and Health Professions
New York State University at Buffalo
515 Kimball Tower
(1-716) 829 -3217
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Research and development on accessibility and universal design for housing and neighborhoods.
- Collection, collation and dissemination of information from rehabilitation research through an online database of research.
- Conduct research and provide technical assitance on the prevention of water borne diseases
- Conduct research to develop healthy neighborhoods, including neighborhood based health support systems, including access to food.
- Participate in the development of the WHO Housing and Health Guidlines.
- .Conduct research and provide technical assistance on improved emergency shelters and replacement housing that can resist natural disasters.
- Health promotion & education
- Healthy Cities
- Disabilities and rehabilitation (excluding accident prevention)
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Information dissemination
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.4 - Guidance, tools and initiatives created in order to support the health sector in influencing policies in other sectors to allow policies that improve health, the environment and safety to be identified and adopted.
DORA Carlos Francisco C.
+41 22 791 3541
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork