Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Humanitarian Action
Director / Head:
Ms Marilyn DISIRIO
National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH), International Emergency & Refugee Health Branch
Centers for Disease Prevention & Control (CDC)
Mail Stop E-97, 1600 Clifton Road, GA 30333
(1-404) 498 0903
(1-404) 498 0064
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. To provide technical support to the WHO in coordinated response to complex emergencies, including direct technical assistance. This will be accomplished by: a) providing professional technical support to WHO in the areas of program planning, implementation, & evaluation of emergency programs for refugee & displaced women, adolescents & children; b) participating in international efforts to develop tools & methodologies for improving the immediate response activities, & other WHO programs focused on vulnerable & affected populations; c) conducting operational research projects in the area of nutrition, environmental health (includes watrer, sanitation, heating, shelter), surveillance, evaluation & mental health; d) collaborating with WHO on the deployment of public health experts in emergency setting.
- 2. Capacity development & training by: a) collaborating with WHO in international regional & national efforts to strengthen emergency & refugee health programs, including the development of technical guidelines on public health issues associated with international complex emergencies; b) collaborating with WHO to develop & disseminate resource materials designed to help individuals & organizations use best practices & other guidelines for the implementation of program activities; c) collaborating with WHO to develop scientifically accurate & appropriate policies, guidelines, tools, methodologies, & materials to improve public health issues associated with complex emergencies & other WHO programs focused on refugee women, adolescents & children; d) collaborating with WHO to identify, document, & disseminate materials that consolidate expert opinion about the nature, scope, effectiveness, & potential of refugee health programs to reduce morbidity & mortality among emergency-affected populations worldwide; e) inclusion of WHO staff as trainers & technical resources in training programs organized by IERHB.
- 3. Strengthening national capacity by: a) collaborating with WHO in efforts to help international & non-governmental organizations form alliances for concerted action in support of emergency response & refugee health activities; b) collaborating with WHO to assess national capacities for the provision of appropriate refugee health services, including policies, programs, training programs, & to develop national plans to strengthen refugee health programs; c) collaborating with WHO to help arrange training, travel & fellowships for representatives interested in strengthening their capacities in emergency response & refugee health through their training programs.
- 4. Surveillance & evaluation research by: a) collaborating with WHO to monitor progress & achievements in the development of WHO emergency response activities including HINAP & other activities; b) collaborating with WHO to establish & maintain systems to monitor the implementation & effectiveness of refugee health programs & activities to reduce morbidity & mortality among emergency-affected populations; c) collaborating with WHO to establish epidemiologic baseline data on the health status & health-related behaviors among refugee populations; d) collaborating with WHO to increase access to research which can be used to improve emergency response & refugee health programs to promote health among affected populations.
- Emergency & humanitarian action
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
WHO organization wide expected result:
CONINX Rudi J. J. M.
+41 22 79 14582
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork