Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Pain Policy and Palliative Care
Director / Head:
Dr James F Cleary
Pain & Policy Studies Group, Carbone Cancer Center
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
1300 University Ave, Suite 6152
(1-608) 263 7662
(1-608) 263 0259
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Collaborate jointly and give technical assistance to units of the WHO (including Noncommunicable diseases and the Essential Medicines and Health Products Programmes) to promote palliative care and opioid availability, consistent with WHA Palliative Care Resolution 67.19
- To provide technical assistance, consistent with WHA Palliative care Resolution 67.19 to national Governments, NGOs and individuals.
- Develop methods to monitor and study national and international trends and policies related to the medical use of opioid medications, as well as methods to monitor trends on abuse and diversion of prescription opioids.
- Work with Surveillance and Population-based Prevention Unit of the Prevention of Noncommunicable Diseases Department at WHO.
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
2.1.1 - Development of national multisectoral policies and plans for implementing interventions to prevent and control noncommunicable diseases facilitated
ULLRICH Andreas W.H.
+41 22 79 11292
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork