Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance
Director / Head:
Dr Thomas O'Brien
Dr John Stelling
Microbiology Laboratory, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine
Brigham & Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
(1-617) 732 6803
(1-617) 277 1762
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- When requested by WHO, to provide strategic and technical advice to WHO Headquarters, Regional Offices, Member States, and heathcare facilities in the development, implementation, and improvement of antimicrobial resistance surveillance and containment initiatives.
- Ongoing maintenance and development of the WHONET and BacLink softwares to facilitate the management, sharing, analysis, interpretation of microbiology laboratory data.
- Support WHO activities and work plans to extend use of the WHONET software through training, technical support, and scientific guidance.
- As funding permits and upon request, support to WHO Headquarters and Regional Offices in the development and maintenance of WHO webpages related to antimicrobial resistance, subject to WHO approval.
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.1 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to maximize equitable access of all people to vaccines of assured quality, including new immunization product and technologies, and to integrate other essential child-health interventions with immunization.
+41 22 79 12357
RAMON PARDO Pilar
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork