Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Traditional Medicine
Director / Head:
Dr Chun-Tao Che
College of Pharmacy
University of Illinois at Chicago
833 South Wood Street, IL 60612-7230 -
(1-312) 996 7253
(1-312) 996 7107
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- • To provide research training for scientists from developing countries in the area of medicinal plants
Research training will be provided for scientists from developing countries in the area of medicinal plants and herbal medicines (Botany, Chemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, and clinical evaluation).
- • To make available information from the NAPRALERT Database to research scientists/communities, WHO and its Member States.
To make available literature information on the ethnopharmacology, chemical constituents, biology and clinical activities of medicinal plant, microbial and animal preparations from the NAPRALERT Database to research scientists.
- .• To provide advisors and/or consultants to WHO and its Member States.
Centre will continue carry out/take up specific ad hoc assignments with technical expertise on traditional/indigenous, complementary and alternative medicines in general, and herbal medicine in particular, requested by WHO (Headquarters and Regional Offices).
- • To participate and/or provide expertise and technical services to the PAHO Working Group on Medicinal Plants.
Centre will contribute to the work of the PAHO Working Group on Medicinal Plants by active participation or provision of services and/or advices to meet its goals and objectives.
- Traditional medicine
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
WHO organization wide expected result:
10.1 - Management and organization of integrated, population-based health-service delivery through public and nonpublic providers and networks improved, reflecting the primary health care strategy, scaling up coverage, equity, quality and safety of personal and population-based health services, and enhancing health outcomes.
10.2 - National capacities for governance and leadership improved through evidence-based policy dialogue, institutional capacity-building for policy analysis and development, strategy-based health system performance assessment, greater transparency and accountability for performance, and more effective intersectoral collaboration.
+41 22 79 13698
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork