Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers
Director / Head:
Dr. Pierre Rollin
Viral Special Pathogens Branch (VSPB), Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology (DHCPP), National Center for Emerging Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
1600 Clifton Road, NE, MS A-26
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To cooperate in the WHO scheme for emergency aid in epidemics;
- To identify rapidly high risk pathogens specimens submitted through WHO, keeping the results confidential, if so required;
- To assist when emergencies occur with epidemiological surveys carried out under the responsibility of WHO by providing personnel and/or equipment when possible;
- To provide technical support to national laboratories involved in epidemiological and laboratory investigations, and outbreak responses;
- To provide technical support concerning biosafety and containment to national laboratories
- To inform WHO of any other epidemiological finding constituting a risk of international transmission of disease.
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Safety measures in microbiology
Types of activity:
- Outbreaks and emergencies
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 1.4 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to enhance their capacity to carry out surveillance and monitoring of all communicable diseases of public health importance.
Ower: 1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
Ower: 1.8 - Regional and global capacity coordinated and made rapidly available to Member States for detection, verification, risk assessment and response to epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
FORMENTY Pierre B.H.
+41 22 79 12550
MENDEZ RICO Jairo Andres
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork