Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Housing Standards and Health
Director / Head:
Professor David Ormandy
Safe and Healthy Housing Unit, School for Health and Social Studies
University of Warwick
Social Studies Building (52)
+44 024 7652 4936
+44 024 7652 4105
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide support on developing and refining the evidence base on the relationship between health and safety and the housing environment, with particular reference to accidental injuries and fatalities.
- Promote the adoption in environment and housing policies of good practice founded on improving health and safety.
- Provide expert advice on options for the development of effective health relevant regulation, the formulation of standards, and the legal mechanisms for their application and enforcement, with particular emphasis on the control and improvement of the housing environment (both new and existing).
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Health promotion & education
Types of activity:
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Information dissemination
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
BRAUBACH Matthias Franz Wilhelm
+49 228 815 0418
DORA Carlos Francisco C.
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork