Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference, Research and Training in Travel Medicine
Director / Head:
Dr. Jane ZUCKERMAN
Academic Centre for Travel Medicine and Vaccines, Royal Free and University College Medical School
University College London
(44-20) 7679 2000
(44-20) 7670 2010
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. To contribute & advise WHO on he implications & public health aspects of travel medicine in relation to the WHO International Travel Health Recommendations. .
- 2. To advise WHO on new and re-emerging
issues in travel medicine and provide information on issues concerning travellers health, medical aspects of
tourism and mass population movement
- 3. To assist WHO & National Authorities in the evaluation of vaccines & drugs used for prophylaxis as required for travellers & tourists including through phase I-IV clinical trials.
- 4. To train health care professionals & administrative personnel in various aspects of travel medicine & travellers' health, especially WHO fellows & recipients of WHO research grants
- 5. To assist WHO in the evaluation of reagents for measuring antibody responses to immunization & for diagnostic reagents & tests for returning travellers & illnesses acquired during travel.
- 6. To organize scientific meetings & educational activities with reference to travel medicine in close collaboration with WHO
- 7. To assist WHO with international collaborative studies & programmes in travel medicine.
- Tourist health & travel medicine
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Parasitic diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Information dissemination
Ower: 1.6 - Support provided to Member States in order to achieve the minimum core capacities required by the International Health Regulations (2005) for the establishment and strengthening of alert and response systems for use in epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
+41 22 791 2921
HOFMANN Thomas Dieter
+45 45 33 67 12
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork