Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Public Health Management of Chemical Incidents
Director / Head:
Dr David Russell
Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards
Public Health England
(44-29) 2041 6388
(44-29) 2041 6803
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide timely support and expert advice to WHO in advising on the public health consequences of chemical emergencies, including those due to deliberate release.
- To strengthen capacity and resilience for the public health management of chemical incidents through the development of teaching and training materials.
- To develop guidance, principles, and procedures for the public health management of chemical incidents.
- To investigate methodologies for the establishment of early detection and alert and follow up of chemical incidents of international concern.
- Chemical safety
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Emergency & humanitarian action
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Outbreaks and emergencies
WHO organization wide expected result:
5.5 - Support provided to Member States for strengthening national preparedness and for establishing alert and response mechanisms for food-safety and environmental health emergencies.
+41 22 79 13731
+49 228 8150430
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork