Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Oral Cancer/Precancer
Director / Head:
Professor Saman Warnakulasuriya
Dental Institute at Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Hospitals, Department of Oral Medicine
King's College London, University of London
King's Dental Institute, Bessemer Road
(44-203) 299 2430
(44-203) 299 3624
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO ORH in providing timely critical audits on the probity of epidemiological data showing rising incidence of oral cancer in Europe and globally.
- To assist WHO ORH in development of public health models for oral cancer/precancer screening.
- To assist WHO to promote education and training of health professionals by development of distance learning programmes.
- To assist WHO ORH in development of comprehensive interventional programmes for prevention and control oral cancer in low and middle income countries.
- To assist WHO ORH in relation to work for integration of prevention of oral disease with NCD prevention and control.
- Oral health
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
WHO organization wide expected result:
3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
6.2 - Guidance and support provided in order to strengthen national systems for surveillance of major risk factors through development and validation of frameworks, tools and operating procedures and their dissemination to Member States where a high or increasing burden of death and disability is attributable to these risk factors.
6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
PETERSEN Poul Erik
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork