Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Protection of Water Quality & Human Health
Director / Head:
Professor Soon-Thiam KHU
Dr Pond Katherine
Robens Centre for Public and Environmental Health (RCPEH), Centre for Environmental Health and Engineering (CEHE)
University of Surrey
(44-1483) 68 6298
(44-1483) 879 971
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support WHO in its aim to promote human health & well being worldwide through the protection of water quality and human health.
- To support WHO technical cooperation with national & regional programmes in the field of water quality by collaboration with other collaborating centres and WHO.
- To support WHO's activities in recreational and drinking water quality monitoring and assessment.
- To support WHO's activities related to the protection of drinking water quality by the management of safe drinking water supplies and provision of hygienic sanitation.
- To work with WHO to develop & refine strategies for the application of risk perception and risk analysis methodology to the protection of water quality and public health under stable and changing environmental conditions.
- Water & sanitation
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Information dissemination
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
8.6 - Evidence-based policies, strategies and recommendations developed, and technical support provided to Member States for identifying, preventing and tackling public health problems resulting from climate change.
+49 228 8150473
GORDON Bruce Allan
+41 22 79 12728
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork