Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Laboratory and Diagnostic Support
Director / Head:
Professor John PARRY
Human Papillomavirus Virus (HPV) & Hepatis C Virus (HCV) Unit, Virus Reference Department
Public Health England (PHE)
61 Colindale Avenue
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To advise on surveillance of retrovirus diseases, in particular HIV & HTLV-I/-II, hepatitis viruses & other infections.
- To design & participate in WHO collaborating studies related to the performance of diagnostic technologies for detection of hepatitis & retroviruses.
- To provide laboratory reference services in consultation with WHO.
- To act as a repository for the WHO Hepatitis B & Hepatitis C panels.
- To advise on serological & nucleic acid testing systems for HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HTLV-I/-II & other infections such as malaria and provide guidance related to testing strategies.
- Health Technology (including laboratory services; but excluding blood safety)
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
11.3 - Evidence based policy guidance on promoting scientifically sound and cost-effective use of medical products and technologies by health workers and consumers developed and supported within the Secretariat and regional and national programmes.
2.2 - Policy and technical support provided to countries towards expanded gender-sensitive delivery of prevention, treatment and care interventions for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including integrated training and service delivery; wider service-provider networks; and strengthened laboratory capacities and better linkages with other health services, such as those for sexual and reproductive health, maternal, newborn and child health, sexually transmitted infections, nutrition, drug-dependence treatment service respiratory care, neglected diseases and environmental health.
VERCAUTEREN Gaby Henriette
+41 22 79 14728
HOFMANN Thomas Dieter
+45 45 33 67 12
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork