Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Community Control of Hereditary Disorders
Director / Head:
Professor Bernadette Modell
Centre for Health Informatics & Multiprofessional Education (CHIME), Division of Population Health, Faculty of Population Health Science
University College London (UCL)
Holborn Union Building, Archway Campus, Highgate Hill
(44-20) 7288 3356
(44-20) 7288 3322
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To extend existing web-based global databases on the epidemiology of congenital and genetic disorders.
- To further develop and disseminate the web-based Accessible Publishing of Genetic Information (APoGI) system for patients and health professionals, and investigate requirements for multilingual translation.
- To further develop instruments facilitating transmission of genetic information within families, with special emphasis on customary consanguineous marriage and hard-to-reach population groups.
- To collaborate with the Ministry of Health & Medical Education, Iran, to further develop their programmes for the control of common genetic disorders at the community level, as requested.
- To design and develop a curriculum and training materials to educate health professionals in the principles of community genetics.
- Genetics & hereditary diseases
- Health promotion & education
Types of activity:
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Training and education
- Information dissemination
Ower: 3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
VARGHESE Cherian V.
+41 22 791 3634
+45 45 33 67 72
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork