Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Identification & Characterization of Schistosome Strains & their Snail Intermediate Hosts
Director / Head:
Dr David Rollinson
Department of Life Sciences, Parasite and Vectors Division, Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road South Kensington, SW7 5BD
44-(0)207 942 5181
44-(0)207 942 5518
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- The use of modern methodology in the field of molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, ecology & parasitology, for the identification& characterization of various schistosome species/strains & their snail intermediate hosts isolated in different endemic areas.
- The collection of reference snail species involved in transmission of schistosomiasis and parasites responsible for disease. On request, the identification of specimens referred from field investigators. Support of operational
research and monitoring projects for control of
schistosomiasis by consolidating data, acting as a specimen repository and providing research specimens to the wider community.
- Research on the interactions between schistosomes and snails and the implications for
epidemiology, control and elimination of schistosomiasis. The study of control and
elimination of schistosomiasis using
interventions to target behaviour and snail control in addition to preventive chemotherapy.
- Vector biology & control
- Research policy & development
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Standardization of terminology and nomenclature
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
ENGELS Dirk A.
+41 22 79 13824
EJOV Mikhail Nicolaevich
+45 45 33 66 61
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork