Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Radiation Emergency Medical Preparedness and Assistance Network (REMPAN)
Director / Head:
Professor Dmitry Bazyka
Dr David BELYI
Research Centre of Radiation Medicine (RCRM), Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine
Melnikov Street 53
(38-044) 483 9215
(38-044) 452 4384
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To contribute to the activities on medical preparedness for radiation emergencies within the framework of WHO/REMPAN and serve as a focal point for advice and possible technical assistance in cases of accidental human radiation over-exposure, including advice and consultation on matters falling under International Health Regulations implementation area
- To contribute to WHO's risk assessment and evidence-based policy development through research programs in radiobiology, radiopathology, and radiation epidemiology on long-term radiation health effects on the Chernobyl populations. Contribute to WHO's work on implementation of the UN Action Plan on Chernobyl for the 3rd decade of 2007-2016.
- To contribute to the WHO BioDoseNet area of work through participation and support of the network's activities.
- To collaborate on the Global Initiative (GI) on Radiation Safety in Health Care Settings as a national focal point for the GI.
- Emergency & humanitarian action
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Information dissemination
WHO organization wide expected result:
5.5 - Support provided to Member States for strengthening national preparedness and for establishing alert and response mechanisms for food-safety and environmental health emergencies.
8.4 - Guidance, tools and initiatives created in order to support the health sector in influencing policies in other sectors to allow policies that improve health, the environment and safety to be identified and adopted.
+41 22 79 13483
+45 45 33 68 22
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork