Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre in Nutrition
Director / Head:
Dr. Ayesha Al Dhaheri
Dr. Ayesha Al Dhaheri
Nutrition and Health Department
College of Food and Agriculture - United Arab Emirates University
P.O. Box 17555
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1-To promote greater awareness in issues related to food and nutrition in the general population and policy makers in UAE and the Gulf region.
- 2- To assist WHO in the prevention and treatment of nutrition related diseases, including under-nutrition, over-nutrition such micronutrient deficiencies, obesity and diet related chronic diseases by strengthening the evidence base and developing innovative solutions.
- 3- Support the development, implementation and evaluation of food and nutrition policies in the UAE and the Gulf countries.
- 4- To assist WHO in collection and dissemination of information on nutritional status of the population and the implementation of nutrition interventions.
- 5- To serve as information resource center for extending research-based information on nutrition, food, and agro-health, through training workshops and seminars and publishing in academic and scientific journals.
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
WHO organization wide expected result:
9.1 - Partnerships and alliances formed, leadership built and coordination and networking developed with all stakeholders at country, regional and global levels, in order to promote advocacy and communication, stimulate intersectoral actions, increase investment in nutrition, food-safety and food-security interventions, and develop and support a research agenda.
9.2 - Norms, including references, requirements, research priorities, guidelines, training manuals and standards, produced and disseminated to Member States in order to increase their capacity to assess and respond to all forms of malnutrition, and zoonotic and non-zoonotic foodborne diseases, and to promote healthy dietary practices.
9.3 - Monitoring and surveillance of needs and assessment and evaluation of responses in the area of nutrition and diet-related chronic diseases strengthened, and ability to identify best policy options improved, in stable and emergency situations.
DE ONIS Mercedes
MADI Haifa Husni
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork