Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Training and Research in Blood Transfusion
Director / Head:
Dr Amin Hussain Al Amiri
Dr May Yassin Raouf
Department of Blood Transfusion and Research Services
Sharjah Blood Transfusion and Research Centre
University Road, Muwaleeh City, P.O. Box 2605
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
+971 6 5582111
+971 6 5388717
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1.To support WHO through evidence-based and high level advocacy to policy makers and implementation of WHO policies and programme activities in the field of blood transfusion safety.
- 2.To provide financial, technical and logistics support as requested by WHO in the strengthening of national blood systems based on WHO guidelines and recommendations at regional and global levels.
- 3.To provide education and training through continuing medical education programmes and scientific activities in transfusion medicine and science for professionals for priority countries worldwide.
- 4.To collaborate with WHO to promote research and the strengthening of capacity in research in the field of blood transfusion safety.
- 5.To assist in the development, evaluation, pilot testing, translation and dissemination of WHO tools and materials.
- 6.To assist WHO in improving the coverage, quality and validation of blood safety data collected from countries and in strengthening national data management systems.
- Blood Transfusion Safety and Blood Products
- Patient safety
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Collection and collation of information
Ower: 11.1 - Formulation and monitoring of comprehensive national policies on access, quality and use of essential medical products and technologies advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.3 - Evidence based policy guidance on promoting scientifically sound and cost-effective use of medical products and technologies by health workers and consumers developed and supported within the Secretariat and regional and national programmes.
+41 22 791 2607
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork