Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training on Viral Zoonoses
Director / Head:
Professor Thiravat Hemachudha
Department of Medicine, Neurovirology Division, Faculty of Medicine
Rama IV road
+ (662) 652 3122, (662) 2564000 ext. 3561, 3576
+ (662) 652 3122
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To participate in research projects under WHO leadership dealing with viral zoonoses especially those causing neurological syndrome.
- To provide technical expertise to Member countries in referral services for supporting investigation of viral zoonoses on request of WHO.
- To conduct national and international training/workshop on viral zoonoses in collaboration with WHO and international partners.
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Information dissemination
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
1.5 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies that meet priority needs for the prevention and control of communicable diseases developed and validated, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
DAUMERIE Denis Paul Jacques
+41 22 79 13919
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork