Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Prevention of Deafness and Hearing Impairment
Director / Head:
Dr Samut Chongvisal
Prof Suchitra PRASANSUK
Otological Centre Bangkok Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital
Pran Nok Road Bangkok Noi District
(66-2) 411 3254, 66-2-419 8040
(66-2) 465 4050
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Strengthen network of institutes in the areas of (a) congenital hearing loss (b) otitis media (c) noise-induced hearing loss from primary, secondary to tertiary level of activities – continuation of activities approved by WHO in 2007 (2009-2012).
- To provide technical support and participate in activities against avoidable hearing loss at national and international conferences, seminars and workshops to strengthen and collaboration with Hearing International.
- Develop guiding principles for:
- effective and practical ‘neonatal hearing screening’ both for high risk and universal population in accordance with work task No. 1 for early detection and early management of congenital-newborn hearing loss for all levels of services;
- servicing and maintenance of hearing aids for urban, poor and rural people in connection with work task No.1;
- cochlear implant in Thailand and in other developing countries;
- ‘Early detection and early management of otitis media’ at different levels of services; and
- avoidable noise-induced hearing loss.
- Support capacity building at all levels of services by providing practical training in ‘ear and hearing care’ at national, regional and international levels for both medical-surgical and rehabilitation services by organizing ‘Otology Update courses in Neuro-oto-audiology for practical and theoretical approach’ and ‘Temporal Bone Dissecting course for ear surgery including Cochlear Implant’ at least twice annually.
- Develop and promote research in the area of hearing impairment.
- Prevention of deafness
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Information dissemination
- Training and education
Ower: 3.5 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the preparation and implementation of multisectoral, population-wide programmes to promote mental health and to prevent mental and behavioural disorders, violence and injuries, together with hearing and visual impairment, including blindness
Ower: 3.2 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the development and implementation of policies, strategies and regulations in respect of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
+41 22 79 14289
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork