Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for neglected tropical diseases
Director / Head:
Dr Said Mohammed Ali
Public Health Laboratory Ivo de Carneri (PHL-IdC)
P.O. Box 122, Wawi Chake
UNITED REP. TANZANIA
(255-24) 245 2003
(255-24) 245 2003
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist in developing strategies towards the elimination of urinary schistosomiasis
- To establish a surveillance system and carry out Transmission Assessment Surveys (TAS) to ensure and sustain the elimination of LF.
- To monitor and evaluate the impact of NTD control programmes, including trachoma.
- To develop sensitive quantitative techniques for the diagnosis of helminth infections and schistosomiasis and for monitoring control/elimination programmes
- To organize and conduct clinical trials for the development and assessment of drugs for the control of NTD with special focus on schistosomiasis, STH infections including strongyloidaisis, and lymphatic filariasis.
- To assist TB and Leprosy Control Programme in monitoring and establishing Leprosy active case finding and surveillance system to reduce its incidence below 1/10.000.
- To promote and carry out capacity building of national and international health staff in implementation, monitoring and evaluation of NTD control programmes
- To provide technical support to neighbouring countries in planning, monitoring and evaluating integrated NTD control programmes
- Parasitic diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Training and education
Ower: 1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
+41 22 79 13322
TCHUEM TCHUENTE Louis-Albert
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork