Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Gonorrhoea and other sexually transmitted infections
Director / Head:
Professor Magnus UNEMO
National Reference Laboratory for Pathogenic Neisseria, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Microbiology
Örebro University Hospital
Södra Grev Rosengatan
+46 19 602 1520
+46 19 127 416
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support WHO in its work against sexually transmitted infections, by assisting in laboratory issues, training and research.
- To monitor antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in N. gonorrhoeae and treatment of gonorrhoea, and provide WHO with advices and research in this field.
- To enhance the surveillance of AMR in N. gonorrhoeae in the European Region.
- To maintain an up-to-date WHO reference panel of N. gonorrhoeae.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (excluding HIV/AIDS)
- Reproductive health (excluding HIV/AIDS)
- Pharmaceuticals (including essential drugs and medicines)
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
4.7 - Guidelines, approaches and tools made available, with provision of technical support to Member States for accelerated action towards implementing the strategy to accelerate progress towards the attainment of international development goals and targets related to reproductive health, with particular emphasis on ensuring equitable access to good-quality sexual and reproductive health services, particularly in areas of unmet need, and with respect for human rights as they relate to sexual and reproductive health.
BROUTET Nathalie Jeanne Nicole
+45 45 33 67 37
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork