Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Biological Safety
Director / Head:
Dr Åsa SZEKELY BJÖRNDAL
Biosafety and Quality Assurance
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control (SMI)
Nobels väg 18
+46 8 457 24 34
+46 8 32 83 30
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To share experience on construction of high containment laboratories and animal facilities.
- To provide assistance to institutions in the establishment of biosafety programmes with special emphasis on high containment laboratories and animal facilities.
- Participate in the development of standard biosafety training tools for global, worldwide use for: a) Biosafety trainers; b) Users.
- To organize training courses for biosafety professionals in the Baltic region and FSU countries.
- Safety measures in microbiology
Types of activity:
- Standardization of terminology and nomenclature
- Training and education
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.6 - Support provided to Member States in order to achieve the minimum core capacities required by the International Health Regulations (2005) for the establishment and strengthening of alert and response systems for use in epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
PREVISANI Nicoletta Claudia
+41 22 79 12866
+45 45 33 66 80
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork