Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Public Health Workforce Development
Director / Head:
Dr. L. T. Gamlath
Public Health Training, Management & Research Unit
National Institute of Health Sciences
P.O. Box: 28, Nagoda Road
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To develop, monitor and evaluate training programmes targeting public health workforce for national and regional public health staff.
- To conduct training programmes, for local and regional public health staff on
“ICD 10 & Health Information Management”,
“Community Health Management”
“Health System Research”,
"Orientation Courses on Public Health – for primary care staff”
- To build advocacy for strengthening the public health workforce
- Health promotion & education
- Health systems research & development
- Classifications of diseases
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Information dissemination
- Organization of events (e.g. conferences; summits)
Ower: 10.1 - Management and organization of integrated, population-based health-service delivery through public and nonpublic providers and networks improved, reflecting the primary health care strategy, scaling up coverage, equity, quality and safety of personal and population-based health services, and enhancing health outcomes.
Ower: 10.8 - Health-workforce information and knowledge base strengthened, and country capacities for policy analysis, planning, implementation, information-sharing and research built up.
Ower: 10.9 - Technical support provided to Member States, with a focus on those facing severe health-workforce difficulties in order to improve the production, distribution, skill mix and retention of the health workforce.
SENANAYAKE Gunasena Sunil
KAWAR Rania K.T.
+41 22 79 14603
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork