Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Training and Research in Occupational Health
Director / Head:
Professor R. de A. Seneviratne
Professor Harshalal Seneviratne
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine
University of Colombo
25 Kynsey Road
+9411 2695300, 2677765
+9411 2677765, 2691581
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To contribute to the development of human resources for addressing Workers’ Health through training and capacity building activities.
- To participate in WHO’s multi-centre projects on integration of Occupational Health in Primary Health Care.
- To support WHO’s research agenda for promoting Basic Occupational Health Services.
- To collaborate with WHO in the implementation of the Global Plan of Action on Workers’ Health.
- Occupational health
- Research policy & development
- Health promotion & education
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
8.5 - Health-sector leadership enhanced for creating a healthier environment and changing policies in all sectors so as to tackle the root causes of environmental threats to health, through means such as responding to emerging and re-emerging consequences of development on environmental health and altered patterns of consumption and production and to the damaging effect of evolving technologies.
ONYON Lesley Jayne
+41 22 79 13548
IVANOV Ivan Dimov
+41 22 79 15532
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork