Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Public Health Palliative Care Programmes
Director / Head:
Dr. Xavier Gomez-Batiste
Department of Palliative Care, Catalan Institute of Oncology
Institut Catala D'oncologia, Departament De Salut
Gran Via de l'Hospitalet 199-203
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Country support: To provide support on development of national palliative care programmes globally through a public health approach, in collaboration with WHO
headquarters and the respective Regional Offices, giving priority to less developed countries in Europe and Latin America.
- Strategy: To collaborate with WHO headquarters and the Regional Office for Europe to identify needs, strategically plan and prioritize efforts, generate and use resources
effectively within countries and across the Region and globally.
- Demostration to expansion: To collaborate with other relevant palliative care programmes in Spain and with the Palliative Care Strategy for the National Health System in Spain in order to provide support to less developed countries.
- Academic research and development: To carry out research on the effectiveness of palliative care and the adaptability and transferability of models. To collaborate in the elaboration of guidelines/tools, and to support countries in evaluation.
- Health systems research & development
- Health promotion & education
- Patient safety
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 3.6 - Guidance and support provided to Member States to improve the ability of their health and social systems to prevent and manage chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
+41 22 791 3360
+45 45 33 68 71
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork