Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research, Reference and Training on Molecular Characterization of HIV
Director / Head:
Dr Michael M Thomson
Dr Lucía Pérez-Álvarez
Department of HIV Biology and Variability National Center for Microbiology
Instituto de Salud Carlos III
Ctra. Majadahonda-Pozuelo, Km. 2.
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. Molecular epidemiology of HIV-1: characterization of subtypes, circulating recombinant forms (CRF), unique recombinant forms (URF) and intrasubtype variants in selected countries of interest for HIV vaccine development.
- 2. Isolation, biological characterization and production of stocks of HIV-1 strains of interest for HIV vaccine development.
- 3. Studies on HIV antiretroviral drug resistance against reverse transcriptase inhibitors (nucleoside analogs & non-nucleoside drugs), protease inhibitors , fusion inhibitors, integrase inhibitors, and entry inhibtors.
- 4. Construction of functional envelope clones of different HIV-1 genetic forms
- 5. Training of selected scientists from developing countries (individual training, workshops) on HIV phylogeny, molecular epidemiology and antiretroviral drug resistance.
- 6. Preparing, publishing and sharing technical materials, guidelines & scientific articles.
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
2.1 - Guidelines, policy, strategy and other tools developed for prevention of, and treatment and care for patients with, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including innovative approaches for increasing coverage of the interventions among poor people, and hard-to-reach and vulnerable populations.
FRUTH Ulrich Josef
+41 22 79 12678
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork