Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Family of International Classifications (WHO-FIC)
Director / Head:
Dr Debbie Bradshaw
Dr Lyn Hanmer
Burden of Disease Research Unit (BoDRU)
South African Medical Research Council
PO Box 19070
Cape Town, Tygerberg
+27 21 938 0959
+27 21 938 0310
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Assisting WHO in developing, maintaining and revising the WHO Family of International Classifications, Terminologies and Standards (WHO-FIC), in particular the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF), the International Classification of Health Interventions, and relevant terminological and ontological aspects.
- Supporting global work with active participation to Committees, as for Implementation & Education, Update & Revision, Electronic Tools & Terminology, and Family Development and Reference Groups, as for Mortality, Morbidity, Functioning & Disability that assist WHO in the development, testing, implementation, use, improvement, updating and revision of members of the WHO-FIC.
- Collaborating with local and regional users of classifications by networking and providing support, disseminating information about the WHO-FIC and other health-related classifications, regarding the availability, suitability and applicability of the classifications for different purposes, as reporting and coding, availability of tools for implementation, data analysis, and interpretation, in coordination with WHO.
- Promoting use of the WHO-FIC, developing, formulating and sharing teaching materials, organizing and conducting local, regional and global training courses and translating international WHO-FIC materials to the relevant language for local use, in coordination with WHO.
- Improving the level and quality of implementation of WHO classifications, supporting quality assurance procedures of the WHO-FIC regarding mechanisms, norms and standards of classification use, data collection, and data analysis, in coordination with WHO.
- Classifications of diseases
Types of activity:
- Standardization of terminology and nomenclature
- Training and education
Ower: 10.5 - Better knowledge and evidence for health decision-making assured through consolidation and publication of existing evidence, facilitation of knowledge generation in priority areas, and global leadership in health research policy and coordination, including with regard to ethical conduct.
KOSTANJSEK Nenad Friedrich Ivan
+41 22 791 3242
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork