Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Occupational Health
Director / Head:
Professor Mohamed Jeebhay
Prof. Mohamed Jeebhay
The Centre for Occupational and Environment Health Research, School of Public and Family Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences
University of Cape Town
(27-21) 406 6898
((27-21) 406 6163
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO in conducting occupational and environmental health research, teaching and training, advocacy and a source of supportive outreach activities in South Africa, in the Southern and Eastern regions of Africa, Africa more generally, and internationally.
- To conduct multidisciplinary research and teaching in relation to occupational health problems that have high priority in Southern Africa in order to facilitate identification and improved characterisation of these and other problems and to better understand the determinants of these problems and their solutions
- To explore and develop means of maintaining the health of individuals and the environment, especially the work environment, and of preventing the development of health problems in those exposed to injurious environments at work or more generally.
- To conduct public policy research into issues ranging from toxic or injurious exposures through to health surveillance, and the functioning of relevant health services including promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative/compensation aspects.
- To explore the burden of occupational and environmental disease, their social determinants and strategies for their prevention amongst vulnerable groups in Southern Africa, with a view to advancing equity in health
- To foster inter-institutional research, teaching and service (including outreach)
- To foster local and global networks for occupational and environmental health promotion through collaboration with United Nations and other agencies.
- To implement the results of research in teaching, training, policy, service provision and outreach
- Occupational health
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
BAGAYOKO Magaran Monzon
KORTUM Evelyn G.
+41 22 791 3531
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork