Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Urban Health
Director / Head:
Professor Angela MATHEE
South African Medical Research Council
PO Box 87373,
(67-11) 274 6060
(27-11) 642 6832
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support WHO/WHO-AFRO with respect to programmes and initiatives in the fields of urban and environmental health;
- To investigate the health concerns of those living in urban settings or unhealthy environments, with special emphasis on the poor.
- To promote WHO urban and environmental health publications and resources through the communication mechanisms of the WHOCCUH, including through the WHOCCUH webpage.
- To assist with capacity building in the fields of urban and environmental health.
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
SENKORO Hawa Hamisi
DORA Carlos Francisco C.
+41 22 791 3541
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork