Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Medicines Information
Director / Head:
Professor Marc Blockman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology
University of Cape Town Medical School
K45, Old Main Building, Groote Schuur Hospital Observatory
Western Cape Province
(27-21) 406 6496/6780
(27-21) 448 0503
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To train healthcare professionals in medicine information.
- To provide healthcare professionals with the necessary skills and information to set up medicines information centres in their countries.
- To provide medicine information in response to queries from health professionals via a telephonic, fax and/or email service.
- To provide medicines information support to other medicines information centres via e.g. the website (www.mic.uct.ac.za) and email.
- Pharmaceuticals (including essential drugs and medicines)
- Health promotion & education
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Training and education
Ower: 11.1 - Formulation and monitoring of comprehensive national policies on access, quality and use of essential medical products and technologies advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
+41 22 791 4420
DESTA Abayneh Tamir
4 724 139 262
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork