Title of the centre:
Centre collaborateur de l'OMS pour les Arbovirus et les Virus de Fièvres Hémorragiques
Director / Head:
Dr Amadou Alpha SALL
Unité des Arbovirus et des Virus de Fièvres hémorragiques
Institut Pasteur de Dakar
36 Avenue Pasteur BP 220
(221) 33 839 92 23
(221) 33 839 92 10
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Cooperate with WHO in its function of Alert and Response to outbreaks of international importance, including outbreaks of Arboviruses and Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers.
- Support early diagnosis, identification and characterization, of viral infections due to Arboviruses or viral hemorrhagic fever viruses using reference techniques: molecular biology, serology and virus isolation.
- Provide (in limited quantities) reagents and diagnostic methods to the collaborating laboratories involved in monitoring Arboviruses and Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers.
- As part of the response to outbreaks of Arboviruses and viral haemorrhagic fevers carried out under the responsibility of WHO, provide assistance to WHO by offering advisory opinion, staff or equipment when possible.
- Provide technical support to the national laboratories involved in epidemiological and laboratory investigations during outbreak responses.
- Inform WHO of any epidemiological or laboratory information that would be in conjunction with a risk of international transmission of a serious disease: arbovirus, viral haemorrhagic fevers or other emerging disease.
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers
Types of activity:
- Outbreaks and emergencies
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Training and education
Ower: 1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
ALI AHMED Yahaya
FORMENTY Pierre B.H.
+41 22 791 2550
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork