Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference & Research on Legionellosis
Director / Head:
professor Igor S. Tartakovskiy
Laboratory for Legionellosis
Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology & Microbiology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences (RAMS)
18 Gamaleya Street - 123098
(7-499) 190 2581
(7-499) 190 7856
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Assist WHO in investigation the comparative characteristic of Legionella pneumophila strains circuit in European and Asian regions of Russian Federation and countries-members of the commonwelth of the independent states (CIS) and evaluation of their epidemiological significance with different virulence markers.
- Under the guidance of WHO conduct an evaluation of rate and level of colonization by Legionella pneumophila of potentially dangerous water systems (hot- and cold-water supply,cooling towers , evaporative condensers , drinking water dispensers and etc.) in health-care facilities in Russian Federation and modifying of modern national guidelines for prevention of nosocomial infection with accent on prevention of nosocomial legionellosis.
- To support WHOs efforts in improvement of Legionnaires Disease prevention in Russian Federation and countries of CIS.
- Bacterial diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Respiratory Infections
- Vector biology & control
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
KAMARA Kande-Bure O'Bai
+41 22 791 3174
BROWN Caroline Sarah
+45 45 33 66 33
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork