Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention of Blindness
Director / Head:
Prof Vladimir Neroev
Department of Infectious & Allergic Eye Diseases
Helmoltz Institute of Ophthalmology, Ministry of Health and Social Development
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To generate evidence on the magnitude and causes of visual impairment and eye care services in the Russian Federation and to use it to advocate increased political and financial commitment to eye health.
- To develop and implement National eye health policies, plans and programmes in the Russian Federation in order to enhance universal eye health with activities in line with WHO’s framework for action for strengthening health systems in order to improve eye health outcomes.
- To enhance and support multisectoral and multilevel engagement and effective partnerships to strengthen eye health at the National and International levels.
- Prevention of blindness
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
2.4.2 - Countries are able to strengthen the provision of services to reduce disability due to visual impairment and hearing loss through more effective policies and integrated services
Ower: 6.2 - Guidance and support provided in order to strengthen national systems for surveillance of major risk factors through development and validation of frameworks, tools and operating procedures and their dissemination to Member States where a high or increasing burden of death and disability is attributable to these risk factors.
Ower: 6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
+41 22 791 1435
+45 45 33 67 72
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork