Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention of Blindness
Director / Head:
Prof Vladimir Neroev
Prof Ludmila Katargina
Department of Infectious & Allergic Eye Diseases
Helmoltz Institute of Ophthalmology, Ministry of Health and Social Development
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide guidance to all activities in Russia in the extension of Russian National Committee on Prevention of Blindness, and in the development of Russian National Plan on Prevention of Blindness VISION 2020 in implementation resolution WHA 62.1.
- To participate in organization of biennial Russian Interregional Symposium on WHO Global Initiative for the elimination of Avoidable Blindness under the title VISION 2020.
- To take an active part in the development of actions for the prevention of blindness with special emphasis on infectious eye diseases, childhood and retinal blindness.
- To provide facilities for the training of professional personnel at different levels, and junior ophthalmologists to be trained through VISION 2020 teaching activities.
- To participate in the collection, elaboration & dissemination of pertinent information.
- To provide on request the advisory services & expertise which might be required.
- Prevention of blindness
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
Ower: 3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 6.2 - Guidance and support provided in order to strengthen national systems for surveillance of major risk factors through development and validation of frameworks, tools and operating procedures and their dissemination to Member States where a high or increasing burden of death and disability is attributable to these risk factors.
Ower: 6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
+41 22 791 1435
+45 45 33 67 72
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork