Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference & Research on Plague
Director / Head:
1.2 Professor G.M. Grizhebovsky
Department of Epidemiology
Stavropol Research Antiplague Institute
13-15, Sovetsakya Street,
(7-865) 226 0312
(7-865) 226 0312
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide WHO with a technical expertise on Yersinia strains identification and susceptibility to antibiotics as well as on epidemiological surveillance and outbreak investigation and control. To produce, maintain and distribute diagnostic reagents for regional centres carrying out plague epidemiological surveillance.
- To participate in laboratory trainings on Y. pestis as well as in training on plague epidemiological surveillance, outbreak investigation and control.
- To maintain a collection of reference strains of pathogenic Yersinia as well as strains used for production of plague vaccine and diagnostic reagents and to provide these strains, when possible, to other laboratories with reference materials such as DNA, etc.
- To improve and develop molecular techniques for the detection and characterization of Y. pestis.
- To improve methods of field plague surveys.
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Bacterial diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Providing technical advise to WHO
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
BERTHERAT Eric Gerard Georges
+41 22 79 14608
+45 45 33 66 80
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork