Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Orthopoxvirus Diagnosis and Repository for Variola Virus Strains and DNA
Director / Head:
Dr Valeriy N. Mikheev
State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology "VECTOR"
(7-383) 336 60 10
(7-383) 336 74 09
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To cooperate with WHO in implementing the resolutions of the World Health Assembly regarding the studying, maintenance or destruction of the remaining variola virus stocks
- To register with WHO all variola virus strains held at VECTOR and provide an annual inventory in a format agreed by WHO & VECTOR.
- To register with WHO all recombinant plasmids containing variola virus DNA sequences produced in the laboratories of the Russian Federation & provide an annual inventory on the national & international distribution of these plasmids.
- To submit an annual report to WHO on the relevant work of the Centre, including the two annual inventories as defined above in TOR 2 and 3.
- To carry out conservation of variola virus DNA in a biologically safe form.
- To develop state-of-the-art methods of rapid diagnosis of smallpox and other orthopoxvirus infections.
- To develop & assess the new generation vaccines & drugs against orthopoxviruses.
- To develop experimental smallpox models for evaluation of the efficacy of anti-smallpox vaccines and drugs.
To maintain capability in terms of both personnel and facilities for laboratory diagnosis of smallpox and other viruses in the group of orthopoxviruses.
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Provision of reference substances and other services
Ower: 1.1 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to maximize equitable access of all people to vaccines of assured quality, including new immunization product and technologies, and to integrate other essential child-health interventions with immunization.
+41 22 791 4286
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork