Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever Reference and Research
Director / Head:
Dr Harold Margolis
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Diseases, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases
Diseases Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
1324 Calle Cañada
(1-787) 706 2399
(1-787) 706 2496
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To identify and characterize dengue virus (DENV) strains.
- To provide quality control services for serologic results obtained by national laboratories in the Americas.
- To assist in the evaluation of commercial or reference diagnostic kits for DENV.
- To maintain prototype and reference strains of dengue viruses.
- To collect and disseminate epidemiological and technical information on dengue fever and dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF)/dengue shock syndrome (DSS), in coordination with PAHO and WHO, in the implementation of DengueNet in the Americas.
- To assist in training on laboratory techniques necessary for virus isolation, molecular characterization, diagnosis, and related procedures routinely used in the investigation of DENV infections on site or in Puerto Rico.
- To actively participate in investigations of outbreaks of DENV/DHF, upon request.
- To actively participate in research involving epidemiology, diagnosis, pathogenesis, treatment and control of DENV/DHF, upon request.
To provide technical assistance in all aspects of DENV prevention and control.
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
Ower: 1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
SAN MARTIN Jose Luis
You can also contact:
- HERNANDEZ LAGOS Franklin Yovanny
+41 22 791 1868
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork