Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Mental Health Research, Training and Substance Abuse
Director / Head:
Professor Fareed Aslam Minhas
Institute of Psychiatry, Rawalpindi General Hospital
Rawalpindi Medical College
Rawalpindi General Hospital
(92-51) 929 0299
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. Development of models of mental health care and substance abuse prevention, treatment and rehabilitation relevant to the national needs and needs of countries in the region
- 2. To contribute towards enhancing the national and regional capacities for provision of evidence based community based care for mental and substance use disorders.
- 3. To contribute towards development and enhancement of national and regional capacity for evidence generation about cost effective interventions and models of prevention and care for Mental and substance use disorders.
- 4. To contribute towards development and enhancement of national and regional capacity for provision of mental health and psychosocial support as part of the emergency preparedness and response.
- 5. To develop educational and advocacy materials and strategies for inclusion of mental health in the national and regional development agendas and policies
- Mental health & neurosciences
- Substance abuse (including alcohol & drugs)
- Health systems research & development
Types of activity:
- Training and education
Ower: 3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 3.2 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the development and implementation of policies, strategies and regulations in respect of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
VAN OMMEREN Mark Humphrey
+41 22 791 3619
+202 227 65368
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork